Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., parent to Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, has canceled sailings until June.
“We have extended our voluntary suspension of global cruise voyages across our three brands as we continue to work through our return to service plan to meet the requirements of the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” Andrea DeMarco, senior vice president of investor relations for Norwegian, said in a statement shared with USA TODAY Tuesday.
Sailings meant to embark on Norwegian, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas are canceled through May 31.
Guests who are currently booked on canceled voyages on the three lines are asked to contact their travel advisor or the cruise line for more information.
Carnival Cruise Line cancels sailings until May
Carnival Cruise Line said in a statement shared by spokesperson Vance Gulliksen in January that all U.S. departures through April 30 have been canceled.
“Unfortunately, we have determined it’s going to take a while longer, and the situation in Europe will also impact Mardi Gras’ departure to the U.S., and Carnival Legend’s itineraries in Europe,” Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line, said in the statement.
Carnival is also canceling Australian sailings through May 19 and European itineraries for Carnival Legend that had been scheduled to start in May and continue through Oct. 31. The cruise line has also delayed the start date for sailings on its new ship, Mardi Gras. Its maiden voyage is now scheduled for May 29.
CDC raises warning:Against cruise travel to highest level, strengthens international flight guidelines
Royal Caribbean Group cancels cruises into spring
Royal Caribbean Group announced earlier in January that it would cancel more cruises on its cruise lines into the spring, including on subsidiary Azamara, which was sold to a private equity firm, the company announced Tuesday.
The company, which is also parent to flagship Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Silversea Cruises, said the cancellations were necessary as Royal Caribbean Group continues to focus on a safe return to cruising.
“As we work closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and government authorities around the world toward this shared goal, we are extending the suspension of certain sailings for our cruise lines,” Royal Caribbean said in an announcement posted to its website.
The schedule changes for each Royal Caribbean Group cruise line are as follows:
Royal Caribbean International
- All sailings canceled through April 30, including Spectrum of the Seas from Feb. 16-28
- Quantum of the Seas, which sails shorter itineraries in Singapore, is excluded from the cancellations
- All sailings canceled through April 30
- Celebrity Apex’s transatlantic cruise, scheduled to depart on May 1, is also canceled.
- All European and transatlantic cruises on Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Constellation scheduled to sail from May through October are also canceled.
- All sailings canceled through April 1
- All sailings canceled through April 30
Royal Caribbean Group added that it continues to work with its Healthy Sail Panel as they plan to welcome passengers back on board.
New cruise ships set to launch in 2021: Celebrity Apex, Odyssey of the Seas
Other Carnival Corp. lines cancel more cruises
Carnival Cruise Line isn’t the only Carnival Corp. Line to have canceled more cruises.
Princess Cruises has announced it will cancel all cruises from U.S. ports through May 14 — more than a year after the industry came to a standstill in the middle of March last year.
Princess itself was impacted by the pandemic early on: two of its ships, the Diamond Princess and the Grand Princess, were among the first vessels to quarantine passengers because of coronavirus infections.
Late in 2020, Princess Cruises canceled all itineraries through March 31. The additional cancellations come as the cruise line works on restart plans that will satisfy the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Framework For Conditional Sailing” announced in October.
The further suspension also applies to European cruises scheduled prior to May 15, Negin Kamali, spokesperson for Princess Cruises, told USA TODAY.
Holland America Line has also canceled all of its departures through April 30 as it prepares to meet the CDC’s guidelines, according to a statement provided by Roger Frizzell, Carnival Corp. spokesperson.
“The line also will cancel all Alaska cruises through mid-May, Alaska departures on three ships through early June, any Land+Sea Journeys connected with canceled Alaska sailings, Mediterranean cruises through early June and Zaandam’s Canada/New England itineraries through August,” Holland America said in the statement.
Another Carnival Corp. subsidiary, P&O Cruises Australia, also announced in January cancellations of its New Zealand cruises into April.
“P&O Cruises Australia is extending its rolling pause in operations in New Zealand to departures on and before 25 April, 2021, as the cruise line and the wider industry continue to work with government and public health authorities on the appropriate time to restart sailing,” the company said in a statement provided by spokesperson Lindy Lamme.
The cruise line plans to return to New Zealand in July 2022 for a 150-day season in the area.
“We know that much better days lie ahead and we remain positive about the resumption of cruising. While we’ve paused operations, P&O Cruises together with the wider industry has been using the time wisely to plan for cruising’s return,” Sture Myrmell, president of the cruise line, said in the statement.
Carnival Corp.’s German line, AIDA Cruises, also canceled more sailings, extending their pause in operations through the end of February after Germany extended its lockdown through the end of January, the cruise line said in a release provided by Lamme.
AIDA hopes to resume cruising in multiple locations after February concludes with several voyage departure dates set for March 6.
Costa Cruises said in a January statement that following a careful evaluation of Italian government measures that they have decided to continue its operational pause, which started with the cancellation of holiday sailings, until March 13.
“The company believes that the current set of restrictive measures does not allow its guests to enjoy an adequate on-shore experience and the ability to fully explore the itinerary’s destinations,” Costa said, noting it supports the “collective effort” Italy is making to face the pandemic.
All sailings scheduled on Costa Deliziosa, Costa Firenze and Costa Luminosa between Feb. 1 and March 12 are canceled.
‘I am ecstatic’:COVID-19 vaccine inspires confidence among cruise passengers, industry
Contributing: Adrianna Rodriguez and Jessica Flores