Naked woman gets trapped in tanning bed: ‘This is going to be my coffin!’

3 mins read

A UK woman feared she would “burn to death” when she became trapped inside a tanning bed — as the salon was forced to call the fire department to rescue her.

Natalie Rene, a 33-year-old law student from Loughborough, told SWNS that she was lying naked in the sunbed at the Tanning House by Miami Sun when she realized she couldn’t get out.

“I thought, ‘This is going to be my coffin!’ The lights were on and I thought, ‘I’m going to burn to death like in the movie ‘Kick-Ass,’” Rene told the outlet.

“It was awful. I was really panicking — I just didn’t know what to do. I was pressing and pressing on the button but the lights didn’t switch off for what felt like ages,” she said.

The mom-of-four said she finally managed to turn off the UV lights and fought with all her might to lift the lid, but to no avail.

“I had literally an inch or so and all I could do was shimmy a little side to side,” she said. “I’m not good with small spaces and my anxiety went through the roof. I thought I’d get crushed, if not burned to death. Then they’d have to drag my naked body out.”

Natalie Rene, who was stuck in sunning bed
Natalie Rene, 33, of the UK, has recounted her horrific ordeal of being stuck — naked — inside a tanning bed.
Tanning House by Miami Sun
Rene was unable to open the lid of the bed at Tanning House by Miami Sun in Loughborough.

She said that just the thought of rescuers seeing her naked “was utterly horrifying.”

Rene said she yelled for help and that two female staffers responded about five minutes later but couldn’t get her out of the machine. Two customers then told the staff to close the shop while the fire department was called.

She covered herself with a sheet of paper as the firefighters finally extricated her.

“We would have been so screwed if it hadn’t been for those two women (customers). They helped me so much. They were a godsend. I am so utterly grateful to them. They were the only ones who could think straight,” Rene said.

Tanning bed
Rene managed to eventually turn off the UV lights.
Getty Images/iStockphoto
Natalie Rene
“I thought, ‘This is going to be my coffin!’ The lights were on and I thought, ‘I’m going to burn to death like in the movie ‘Kick-Ass,’” she said.

“Apparently the sunbed had just been serviced but the firemen said the hinges had completely gone,” she told SWNS.

The owner of Tanning House by Miami Sun did not comment to the news outlet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

Tigray confict

This content is only available to USA TODAY subscribers. Access all subscriber-only stories One month for