Iran has reportedly threatened to build nuclear warheads and warned that it has the capability to turn New York into “hellish ruins” — amid stalled efforts to reinstate a nuclear deal between the county and world powers.
Two Telegram channels with ties to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps posted a 2-minute video Saturday that vowed to quickly start building nuclear bombs if the “US or Zionist regime make any stupid mistakes,” according to Iran International, a London-based news outlet.
The video claims secret underground facilities in Fordow, near Qom, are close to working to turn the Islamic Republic into a nuclear power — and warned that its “peaceful nuclear program” could morph into a weaponized one with ease.
“The nuclear facilities of Fordow have been built deep under mountains of Iran and are protected against trench-busting bombs and even nuclear explosion,” the video reportedly states. “All infrastructures required for nuclear breakout have been prepared in it.”
The haunting video also claims that the Islamic Republic also has ballistic missiles capable of “turning New York into hellish ruins.”
The clip at one point shows President Joe Biden and cites Iran’s purported secret Emad nuclear project, which began in 1989 and was later stopped by the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog in 2003.
Former President Donald Trump withdrew from a 2015 nuclear deal with the country during his presidency and immediately imposed economic sanctions on Tehran, but President Biden raised the idea of renegotiating the pact when he took office in January 2021.
However, indirect talks between the US and Iran stalled last month and no new negotiations are planned.
Iran has enriched about 60 percent of the uranium for the fissile material needed to build a nuclear bomb. If the nation nears the 90 percent threshold, that would be enough to power a nuclear bomb within a “few weeks,” Iran International reported.
Iran’s nuclear chief, meanwhile, said the Islamic Republic has the technical know-how to develop an atomic bomb, but has no plans to produce one.
The disturbing, new footage comes just weeks after New York City’s Emergency Management Department released a 90-second public service announcement on what to do if the Big Apple comes under nuclear attack.
The PSA laid out three actions residents should take — with the first step being to get inside as quickly as possible before shutting every door and window.
“The likelihood of a nuclear weapon incident occurring in/near New York City is very low,” an agency spokesperson told The Post. “However, it’s important New Yorkers know the steps to stay safe. The new PSA encourages New Yorkers to take key, simple steps in the event of such an incident.”