When mould appears in your home or property, not only can it be unpleasant to look at, the build-up of fungus can also pose a risk to your health. The surprising solution, however, could be by adorning your home with houseplants.
Indoor plants can help to improve the air quality in homes by absorbing toxins.
They can also bring down humidity and moisture levels in the air through their leaves, which ultimately can reduce the risk of mould developing – particularly in rooms such as the bathroom or kitchen.
Research shows that rooms with plants can have anywhere from 40 to 60 percent fewer mould spores and bacteria.
But, not all plants are as effective in eliminating mould and mildew, which is why picking the right houseplant is crucial.
READ MORE: ‘I thought people would be welcoming’: Londoner tries Cornish life
These pretty plants not only add an aesthetic touch to your room, thanks to their stunning white flowers, their leaves are also excellent at removing moisture from the air.
Peace lilies are happy in the shade and grow best in high humidity areas.
Consequentially, these are also the areas most likely to be hit with mould.
Much like English ivy, though, peace lilies should be kept away from pets due to their toxicity levels.
You may be accustomed to seeing palms swaying in the breeze on holiday, so why not give your home a touch of the tropics by purchasing one.
Not only will a palm brighten up your room, but they are also a great choice when it comes to controlling humidity.
Palms can keep mould at bay by soaking up moisture through their leaves.
Some of the best varieties to opt for include the lady palm, dwarf palm and reed palm.
They prefer soil that is not too moist and not too dry and thrive in indirect sun.
Snake plants are relatively easy to look after.
Not only do their leaves absorb humidity, but the plant itself is happy enough to be watered once every two weeks, making it a great starting plant for beginners.
During the winter months, plant parents can even get away with watering just once a month if they feel the soil is still moist after two weeks.